Thoughts are magnetic, and thoughts have a frequency. As you think, those thoughts are sent out into the Universe, and they magnetically attract all like things that are on the same frequency. Everything sent out returns to source. And that source is You
Rhonda Byrne in The Secret
‘The Secret’ came out in 2006 (video and book) and it created a huge buzz about the ‘Law of Attraction’. Many people were inspired to try out the techniques as shown in the film, but for most people, nothing happened for them, so they dismissed it as just another one of those fads. And yet the Law of Attraction does work – it’s working right now as you read this. I used the principles to help me create The Jasmine House.
The Secret helped people understand more about this natural law, but in some ways it over simplified things. I wish to share with you my thoughts on the Law of Attraction and show you how it can help you.
The Law of Attraction is a Universal Law – just like Gravity and the Law of Cause and Effect. It’s already in your life and is influencing all things in your life – just as gravity is doing so without you being really aware of it. The Law of Attraction creates your entire life experiences, and it does it through your thoughts, beliefs and most especially your feelings. What you think about most you bring into your life – always and without exception.
This may be a challenging thought. For example you might turn around to me and ask, ‘If I think about becoming very rich, can I make this happen?’ and I would reply, ‘Yes—if you are also willing to receive it’. More on receiving in a minute. You can also create anything else you can think about – finding your soul mate, doing the work you’d love to do, having multiple houses, having wonderful holidays, have amazing health – anything that is humanly possible. You can’t though make others do things for you or alter their destiny.
We are all made up of energy. Everything in the Universe – including the chair you’re sitting on – is made of energy even though your chair appears solid, at an atomic level it is just condensed energy that is virtually static. Your thoughts are made up of energy too – and as you think about things, you send out vibrations of energy into the ether and they affect what happens in your life.
If this is so, why isn’t everyone already living the life of their dreams?There are many reasons why, but the fundamental one is that most people have not learnt to focus our thoughts, nor realise just what we are doing when we think our thoughts. If you wish to be rich, but are not, then some thoughts will be on being rich (or at least richer than you are now!), but a whole mass of thoughts will be on the opposite – the lack of money in your bank account, the debt, the struggle because you haven’t got enough money and so on. The Universe brings you what you think about the most. In this case the majority of thoughts are about your lack of money. So the Universe will kindly bring you more lack of money!
Why are we not yet attracting good stuff into our lives
All of the principles of the Law of Attraction were beautifully explained in The Secret – film and book. Most people took away that they needed to ask for what they wanted, focus their thoughts, to ‘feel’ how it would be when you have received it, and to also expect to receive it too. All of this is good. However, what I felt didn’t come across in the film was how much our natural inclination is to stay within our comfort zone. It didn’t show how to break-free of life-long patterns and habits. It also didn’t show how dismissive we often are and even negative about the possibilities of change for us. It’s all too easily to believe the good stuff only happens to others, and not for ourselves. So many people, brilliant, amazing people are stuck in the fear zone of feeling that they are not good enough, not worthy of receiving.
Let me give you an example – again using money, but please know that the principles are exactly the same for every different aspect of your life. In these hard-up times, many people would like to have more money. But few decide exactly how much they would like, nor do they ask for that amount. They want it, but have so many doubts about it coming, or whether they are worthy of receiving it, they usually they end-up in a status quo where nothing really changes. They also get stuck in thinking that things only work in the way that they have come to expect. For example, they say to themselves, ‘I wish I had more money‘ but then frown and worry about how much debt has accumulated on their credit card, and fret over how they can make ends meet, they ask for overtime and cut back on their spending. I know this is sounds ‘sensible’ and in the short term it may indeed be what someone needs to do; BUT you have to also believe and have faith that money can flow into you life from many sources and in many different ways. In this way energetically you are starting the process of change. All change begins in the mind first. If you only stay with what you know and have always done, you will continue to get what you have always received.
So ASK, BELIEVE (as if your whole being needed it), and EXPECT TO RECEIVE (you are worthy!)
In The Secret it makes it sound/look easy to change from your old ways. Absolutely you can change your ways (programming/habits/scripts), but it takes focus, attention and dogged determination. If you want it, whether that’s money, health, recognition, love or whatever, you first have to really want it.
This is not something new…
The Gospel of Mark 11:24 ‘What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them‘
Buddha said: ‘All that we are is a result of what we have thought‘
In 1910, Wallace Wattles wrote ‘The Science of Getting Rich‘ a book about how ‘thought can become matter’ as he described it. And in 1925 Florence Scovel Shinn wrote ‘The Game of Life’ again writing about how the Law of Attraction works.
Albert Einstein: ‘Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions‘
These are just a handful of so many people I could have quoted. The Law of Attraction has been known for centuries. It is such a shame that most of us are STILL not using it fully – and yes, in areas of my life that’s true of me too!
Tuning into The Law of Attraction
Mike Dooley of ‘Notes from the Universe’ fame (see www.tut.com) sums up the Law of Attraction as ‘Thoughts become Things‘. But monitoring your every thought would be completely impossible. However, you can take steps to that will bring your thoughts more and more into alignment with what it is you really want, so you can start living your dream life.
- Begin catching yourself – both in your thoughts and words. Are you sending out positive vibrations about what you want? Or are you moaning and focusing on what is not in your life?
- Start noticing how you are feeling. Your feelings are a barometer to the kind of thoughts you are having. What are you feeling right now? What do you wish you were feeling?
- You may think that you can’t change how you are feeling – but this is not true. Whilst it’s not possible to go from despondency to joy in an instant (at least not for most of us!) you can take any feeling and make it better. Despondency can be coaxed into miserable, miserable can become ‘a little sad’, sadness can be persuaded that life is OK. In this way, OK becomes good, then great, then amazing and then fantabulous! (Isn’t ‘fantabulous’ a great word? It makes me feel better just thinking that I could use it when someone next asks me how I am!).
- What makes you feel good? Is it when you’re in good company? Or perhaps walking in nature? Taking part in a hobby perhaps, or listening to music? Whatever makes you feel good, make sure you start incorporating into your life everyday. Feeling good is crucial to changing your life for the better.
Get clear on what you want in your life
It is important to be as specific as possible. Again, ‘I want to be rich’ isn’t specific enough, as for one man having £100 in his hand would make him feel rich, where another this would be small change. It’s all in the detail.
- Start writing down exactly what it is you want in your life. So, it’s not just I want to live in a nice house: describe that house as if you were an Estate Agent! You want a new job? Don’t get bogged down with the ‘how’ you can progress up the career ladder – instead focus on how you will feel when you have been given this job. Feel it energetically now!
- Create a Vision Board – a montage of pictures (clippings from a magazine work well or find them on the internet) that represent the life you would like to have. This helps you build the picture of where you’re going. If you don’t feel Blue-Peter-ish, there are several online programs and apps for Vision Board creation.
- Start visualising your new life. Put yourself ‘in’ the vision – rather than looking at it through the window. Be the person you want to be in all the ways you can.
Taking inspired actions
Focusing on your thoughts and emotions and visualizing your new life are the first steps in changing your life using the Law of Attraction – and these things alone will begin to make changes in your life. But to get the full affect you need to begin taking actions too. Here are a few ideas for this.
- Be really grateful for everything that you already have. Start a Gratitude Journal – write about all things that you love that is already in your life. See The art of being grateful
- Meditation. Relieves stress and negative thoughts. Allows you to see where you need to go. See Meditation for inner peace
- Start taking full responsibility for everything. No more blaming anyone else. Even the yucky stuff – your thoughts brought it all to you. You have the power to change anything and everything, but it all starts with knowing it begins and ends with you.