With a distinct, a sweet/tart twang from the fruit – this Cherry Punch Smoothie is quite different from the ice-creamy flavour of smoothies made with whey protein, but it’s one of my favourites. Hemp Protein is a superfood. It gives smoothies a slightly earthy taste—but please don’t be put off by that—it tastes surprisingly good despite this! Hemp contains good amounts of protein, making it great addition to your breakfast.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHERRY PUNCH SMOOTHIE
1 large portion
- Half a banana
- 120 g frozen Morello cherries (These are slight sour. Asda stock them. Sainsbury’s sell a Dark Sweet Cherry that tastes good too)
- 1-2 heaped dessert spoon of Hemp Protein (start with one: increase as you get used to the flavour)
- 1 or 2 heaped teaspoon(s) of Greens Powder (I use Udo’s Choice Beyond Greens)
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil (cold pressed, virgin oil) or 2 teaspoons of flaxseed oil or 1 level tablespoon of ground flaxseeds.
- 200 ml rice milk or almond milk. Brands that I use and recommend are: Rude Health, Organic Rice Dream or Ecomil.
- optionally, a small handful of fresh spinach leaves
Place all the ingredients into the blender. It generally helps the blender to ‘get going’ by popping the milk and banana into the blender before the frozen cherries and other ingredients.
If you are new to making smoothies, buying the speciality ingredients can be daunting, but I hope you will see it as an invesment in your health. I am big fan of Udo’s Beyond Greens because it’s so nutritionally rich. It contains organic, fermented grasses, algae, spices, vegetables and seeds all which helps support your immune system. I buy Udo’s Beyond Greens and (other super foods such as hemp protein, cacao powder and goji berries) from Body Kind who are typically cheaper than Amazon or other health food shops.
All of my smoothie recipes are nutritionally balanced. Read my article Smoothies: Are they good for you?, which also includes how to make your own healthy smoothies.
Eat Well—Be Well 🙂
Trackback from your site.